Phillipians 4:13 ESV

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Phil. 4:13 ESV

Monday, July 29, 2013

Pickles, pickles and MORE pickles!!

I have to admit that I've been distracted from my usual Bible study by this large garden we have. My latest venture has been pickles...lots of pickles. I've had to start keeping a diary of the recipes. I'm now on batch four. I made two quick batches ready within 24 hours and two longer batches.

The first batch is traditional dill pickles like grandma made. You can see the spices and herbs with the pickles. They are longer curing (3 to 4 weeks) and canned for year storage. We tried them after a few days and they were SUPER salty. After a week in the fridge they were much better, but probably better suited for a bloody Mary drink instead of just eating. I think they will mellow nicely and be ready in that 3-4 week time frame for eating!!


The second batch I call "cheater pickles". It's just the spice package you can buy in the store. They are more like the pickles in the store and are ready in about 24 hours. I also canned them for shelf storage. Everyone agreed they were YUMMY and the kids were eating them up!



The third batch was also a "quick" batch. It is by far the most beautiful. Achar Segar (Indonesian Quick Pickles) are quick, crisp and delicious! They are ready after only 3 hours in the refrigerator and last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. This batch was beautiful with different colored carrots from our garden. My sister-in-law, originally from Indonesia, helped me make them. She said they were delicious. So delicious that she took them home. I cannot get the picture off my camera, so I'll post a picture later.


The fourth batch is a longer processed batch fermenting in a 2 gallon crock. These should be ready in about 2-3 weeks sitting in brine at room temperature. I'm excited about this batch because the fermentation will produce some really good for you bacteria! (And my pantry smells like wonderful pickles for weeks!!)

We have really been blessed with this wonderful garden and God has given me the gift to use up what we've grown. It's great to see the kids begging for homemade pickles and eating things right off the vine! So I'm going to work as hard as I can to preserve what we have and I'll be giving some away for Christmas gifts and donate some to my friend that helps some homeless people, too!!

2 comments:

  1. If you have extra, I will happily take some off your hands. :) Or if you have some spare jars, and you are willing, we could sell them at the fundraiser bake sale. :)
    You are so amazing Katie in so many ways!! Love the many artistic abilities God has given you and how you use them to bless your family and those around you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bible has been around and will be around for ages. Gardens and making memories with your family come and go. I am sure God is pleased with what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete